I Got Blisters On My Fingers




Yesterday I went over to our singer's place to record a guitar part for our next EP (the one that will come out after our album is released in April... we tend to get ahead of ourselves). It was the first time I had played guitar in about a month, and prior to that it had been even longer since I played. And it showed. For starters, I couldn't play for shit. It's a song I'd played guitar on before, but since then I'd become both the bass player and (currently) drummer in our band. And since our new guitarist had appropriated about half of my old part for his part, I had to come up with something new. Which I did, but I couldn't pull it off very well. So after about a dozen attempts, I decided to split it into two parts, and played them on top of each other. Voila, problem solved. Thank god for multi-tracking.

But the real problem started today. My fingers f*cking hurt. The fingertips on my left hand are softer than a baby's bottom... not a hint of calluses. And that's kind of pathetic. So I made a belated New Year's resolution... play guitar for at least five minutes every day. I mean, hopefully more, but a minimum of five minutes. It'll keep both my skin and my skills in playing shape, so I won't have to dumb down my parts next time I try to record. And who knows, maybe I'll even get around to writing a new song with lyrics and everything, something I haven't pulled off in about five years (which is equally pathetic, but this post is self indulgent enough without getting into that).

Radiohead - "Anyone Can Play Guitar" (mp3) from Pablo Honey

Note: I'm well aware that it was Ringo that screamed "I got blisters on my fingers!" at the end of "Helter Skelter," not John, but it seemed like a good title for my whiney little post.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?