For No One


I first heard Rickie Lee Jones when I was nine. It was a rainy night, and I was lying on my bed listening to the radio in the dark when they played "Chuck E's In Love." I've never really been a fan of hers, but I remember that moment like it was yesterday. It's strange how sometimes a song can become stuck in your memory for no particular reason.

The only Jones album that I own is It's Like This, a collection of covers released in 2000. I grabbed a promo copy of it when I worked at Virgin because she covered a Frank Sinatra song on it. And while her take on "Cycles" is really good, my favorite song on the album is her version of The Beatles' "For No One." Accompanied by just piano and organ, its an incredibly intimate performance. It might be heresy to say it, but I think I like it even better than the original.

Rickie Lee Jones - "For No One" (mp3)

Comments:
How can you remember that far back? That was Spokane! And the fact that it was a rainy night???
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?