It Came From New York




Lately it seems like my email inbox has been filling up with bands from New York City. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising... New York is a big city, and there are a lot of bands there. But for the past couple weeks every other email has been from another Gotham group. So as a way to play catch up, here's a couple of the better submissions I've received recently from Manhattan and beyond...

The Canon Logic singer Tim Kiely sounds so much like Brandon Flowers that comparisons to The Killers are inevitable. The emphasis on piano gives the Brooklyn transplants a much more grounded sound though, influenced more by the 60's golden age of pop than 80's new wave. They celebrate the release of their debut full length, FM Arcade, with a show at the Mercury Lounge on March 5.

The Canon Logic - "Avenue Of Criminals" (mp3)

After a prolong period of dormancy,
Some Awful Bridge both begin their future and turn the page on their past with the release of a new EP, Ankles and Elbows. Although the biographical information on their website is shrouded in mystery, half truths, and outright lies, you can glean together that these six songs serve as auditory evidence of the band's previous incarnation. It's equal parts new wave and art rock, shoegaze and psychedelia, glam and goth. Their new lineup makes their live debut this Wednesday, February 24 at Ace Of Clubs in Manhattan.

Some Awful Bridge - "My Wish, The Bone" (mp3)

I never got into the Moldy Peaches. They always seemed a bit jokey and amateurish for my tastes. So when I got
Adam Green's new solo album, Minor Love, in the mail a few weeks ago, I wasn't expecting much. But I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. His sixth release is much more serious and musically accomplished than anything he's done in his past. Don't get me wrong, he's still the same smart alec he's always been, but he's toned it down a notch this time out.

Adam Green - "What Makes Him Act So Bad" (mp3) from Minor Love

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?