Independence Day Mini Mix




Remember sparklers? Of course you do. In fact, you might be twirling one around later this evening. The other day I heard a story on NPR about fireworks that said those little things burn at 2000 degrees fahrenheit. Wha wha what? Seriously? I spent my childhood running around with the equivalent of a tiny butane torch in my hand? That's kind of scary... and also kinda awesome.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - "Coming To America" (mp3) from Have Another Ball

This is probably the only modern patriotic song that I like. I even like Neil Diamond's original version, but this cover is a thousand different kinds of awesome. It was originally released on the
Generations Vol. 1 compilation, and it's being re-released on Tuesday on the Gimme Gimmes' new singles collection Have Another Ball. If memory serves, I think Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong is playing guitar on this track. And to get nitpicky, the song is actually just called "America."

Soundgarden - "4th Of July" (mp3) from Superunknown

Since I posted a song called "4th Of July"
last year, I thought I'd do it again and make it a tradition. I'm all about the obviousness.

Frank Sinatra - "America The Beautiful" (mp3) from The Reprise Collection

And to wrap things up, we close with something a bit more traditional. Happy Birthday America. You don't look a day over 30.


photo by Tom Oliver

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?