Auld Lang Syne


The other day I was talking to a friend who claims that she's never heard "Auld Lang Syne." I found that incredibly hard... no, impossible to believe, but even after singing her the first verse she still claimed to not recognize it. It's possible that this had more to do with my off-key singing than her exposure to traditional holiday songs, but I don't think I'm THAT bad a singer.

Anyway, while looking for a website about New Year's Eve traditions to forward her explaining how she's basically been living under a rock her entire life, I found
this entry from The Book of Ratings that absolutely cracked me up...
"It's always funny to hear people sing Scots poetry while wearing shiny hats. I usually try to get everyone to launch into "Johnie Lad, Cock Up Your Beaver" to the tune of "Puff the Magic Dragon" as an encore, but by then everyone's putting on coats and calling babysitters so it's never really gotten the ensemble treatment it deserves."
Their take on all the various New Year's Eve traditions are hilarious, so it's worth taking a look at before you head out for your end of the year revelry. I'm seriously thinking about forgoing the kissing at midnight so I can instead ring in the new year by standing on a chair eating grapes.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?