I Was A Teenage Rush Geek




I've mentioned before that I used to be a huge Rush fan. Since I talked in that post about how they fell off my musical radar, this time I'll talk about how they got on it.

When I was about eleven, I was at summer camp talking about music with one of my friends. Moving Pictures has just come out, and "Tom Sawyer" was all over the radio. It was my first exposure to the holy trinity of Canadian power trios, so my friend lent me his Walkman and told me I had to listen to the first side of 2112. I laid in a dark tent on a cool eastern Washington evening and for the first time took in the dystopian art rock epic. I won't bother talking about the music... if you've heard it, you either get it or you don't, and if you haven't, you probably don't care to. But to this day it was one of the coolest listening experiences of my life.

So why the walk down memory lane? Because this weekend I saw I Love You, Man. I figured going in that I'd dig it, since it starred both my man crush (Paul Rudd) and one of my top five female crushes (Rashida Jones). And I know I said this about the last Paul Rudd flick I saw too, but seriously... it was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. And the scene where Rudd and Jason Seigel are jamming in the man cave to "Tom Sawyer" was definitely the hardest I've ever laughed in my life. The GF told me she was afraid people were going to start throwing popcorn at us because I was laughing so loud. I was actually in tears and borderline hyperventilating by the time the scene ended. But anyone who's ever been the slightest bit into Rush probably had the same reaction I did. The movie is as chalk full of Rush references as Role Models was full of KISS jokes... only this time it features a cameo by Geddy, Alex and Neil themselves. I really can't recommend this movie highly enough to everyone. And if you're a Rush fan, past or present, you absolutely NEED to see it.

And so on that note... prepare to be Rushified (note -
not my joke).

Rush - "Limelight" (mp3) from Moving Pictures

Labels:


Comments:
After reading this I must go see this movie. I have been a Rush fan since I was 5 years old (about 30 years now) and remember, like you, the first time I heard 2112 and fell in love.
 
Your "not my joke" link took me to a Playboy magazine cover-shoot. I sat through almost two minutes of hot blondes posing, waiting to hear one of them refer to Rush. I guess it could have been worse.
 
Sorry 'bout that. Now it's fixed. OK, for real... prepare to be Rushified!
 
I've heard Darrin laugh many, many times and he is extremely loud....sympathies to the GF......
still love you!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?